Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Study Abroad During College!

One of my (Anna) favorite parts of college was studying abroad. This meant that I got to go take classes and live in different cities outside of the U.S. I got to take new classes, meet new people, learn new cultures, see new sites, and become more independent. At first it might feel kind of scary to be going so far away from friends and family, but seizing the opportunity to take the challenge and push my boundaries has helped me immensely in my life. Onto the fun stuff.....

The first place I studied abroad was Venice, Italy. This city is known for its art, art history, food, and canals going through the city instead of asphalt streets. There are no cars in Venice -- you take boats, called gondolas, everywhere!


Here is a picture of a gondola and a gondolier (the name of a gondola driver). 

In Venice I took classes with students from different colleges all over the U.S. and we studied Art History. Instead of learning about the famous paintings from pictures in a textbook, we got to see the masterpieces in person -- made learning way more fun!!!

Next, I traveled to Sydney, Australia to live and study for the fall semester of my junior year. Sydney is a lot like San Francisco in that it is near the beach, has a bay with a landmark bridge, and people spend a lot of time outdoors. While I was here, I travelled throughout Australia on my own and with friends and gained a lot of independence and self-confidence that has helped me as an adult. I took classes in Global Politics and History that were not offered to me back at Duke, my primary college at home. 


 I recommend studying abroad if you can while you are in college -- its an experience that lasts a lifetime!  
Here is a picture of the famous chapel at Duke Univeristy, just for fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment